PICSI IS A MICROMANIPULATION TECHNIQUE THAT IMPROVES THE PROCESS OF SELECTING SPERM FOR ICSI.
A PROTEIN WHICH IS FOUND IN THE MEMBRANE SURROUNDING THE EGG (HA PROTEIN) IS USED TO SELECT THE BEST SPERM ACCORDING TO HOW WELL THE SPERM BIND TO IT.
The more mature a sperm is the more likely it is to bind to HA protein. Research shows that sperm that bind have a lower probability of chromosomal abnormalities and higher DNA integrity. Sperm unsuitable for fertilisation lack specific protein receptors, and do not bind to the protein.
ADVANTAGES OF PICSI OVER ICSI
PICSI selects the best sperm not just on appearance but on the sperms ability to fertilise an egg. It is a more refined way of choosing the best sperm for injection.
PICSI PROCESS AT REPROGENESIS
- The first step is filling in a questionnaire in order to provide relevant information about your medical history.
- Based on information provided and consultation with a specialist, the most suitable treatment method will be determined.
- Secondly, a series of tests will be conducted: hormonal profile, STD tests and sperms analysis, blood type and Rh factor.
REASONS FOR PICSI
- Low fertility rate after ICSI
- Spermogram results repeatedly at the low end of the norm
- Compromised embryo development in previous cycles
- History of miscarriage
- Woman 35 years or older